top of page

Health Services

Health Services ensure that schools have the resources and systems in place to support the health-related services needed while a student is accessing their education.

Health services may include:

  • Emergency care plans for students with life-threatening conditions, such as severe allergies, asthma, cardiac conditions, diabetes, and seizures.

  • Individual health plans for students requiring nursing-directed care

  • Student health assessments as requested by school staff, administrators, teachers, or parent/guardian

  • Monitoring of student immunization compliance

  • Hearing and Vision screening

  • Contact Tracing and guidance for COVID-19

  • Parent/Guardian communication as needed

  • In emergency situations, 911 will be called

Medication at School

Students who must take medication (prescription or over-the-counter) or have rescue medications at school because of a life-threatening condition, must have a completed Medication Authorization form, signed by a licensed health care provider, on file with the school nurse. The Medication Authorization Form is available at school or by using the link above,


When to keep your child home or when your child might be sent home:

  • Students with a fever of 100° F or higher should stay home for at least 24 hours and not attend school until fever-free for 24 hours, without fever-reducing medications

  • Students with a cough or sore throat, especially with a fever, should stay home from school until at least 24 hours after flu-like symptoms have resolved

  • Vomiting or diarrhea, until symptom free for 24 hours

  • Pink eye, with or without drainage, until treated

  • Body rash


Washington law requires that all children be fully immunized against the following communicable diseases: Varicella (chickenpox), Diphtheria, Pertussis (whooping cough), Tetanus, Polio, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, and Hepatitis B. All students must have a signed Certification of Immunization Status (CIS) form to attend school.

In addition, all new immunization records provided to the school must be medically verified. Examples of medically verified records can be found here.


The CIS form is available at your student's school and stays with a student's records. The form is also available here.


You can also print a CIS form at home that includes your child's medically verified records on file with Washington state. To do this, simply sign up and log into MyIR. For more information on immunizations, contact your child's health care provider or the Seattle-King County Health Department.

Important Forms

Health Care Plan

Medical Authorization  Spanish

Student Health Concerns - Annual Update Form  |  Spanish

Return After Concussion  Spanish

bottom of page