Riverview - Weather Related Schedule Changes
School Closure, Late Start, Early Dismissal
(*Print-friendly pdf version)
Emergency Schedule Hotline: (425) 844-4542
Please note that Riverview schools are assumed to be in session, unless a message is broadcast via radio, television, district website, and/or social media.
- Limited Bus Transportation Routes (click tabs at the bottom for each school)
- PDF version of Limited Bus Transportation Routes
Situations involving snow, ice, power outages, windstorms, and floods are continually assessed and may make it necessary to temporarily alter the operation of schools and/or school buses in the Riverview School District.
- Local Weather Cams, Road and Flood Updates (courtesy of Jim Gale)
CHANGES IN SCHOOL OPERATIONS
Changes in school operation schedules may be necessary, resulting in the closure of one or more schools for the day, a late start time, and/or an early dismissal time.
If it becomes necessary to dismiss students early because of inclement weather conditions or a widespread utility outage during the school day, notice of school changes will be distributed to radio stations, television stations, the District's website, district email (Constant Contact), and social media outlets (e.g., Facebook and Twitter).
If a school is closed, all after school activities are presumed to be cancelled, unless otherwise notified.
Community groups using school facilities after hours should coordinate their activities with the school principal about having or cancelling their event.
EMERGENCY OPERATIONS MESSAGING
Messages will be broadcast via Seattle-area radio and television stations, through the Riverview School District website, district email (Constant Contact), and Riverview's social media pages on Facebook and Twitter.
Riverview School District
- KOMO, 1000
- KIRO FM, 97.3
- KOMO, 97.7
- KUOW (NPR), 94.9
- Northwest Cable News, 2
- KOMO, 4
- KING, 5
- KONG, 6/16
- KIRO, 7
- KCPQ, 13
The radio stations listed above broadcast news and information 24 hours a day, while most television stations begin news coverage at 4:30 A.M. Stay tuned during the morning; conditions may require sudden operations changes.
You can also sign up for automatic emails from FlashAlert.net (formerly called Schoolreport.org). These emails are tied directly to the school closure and late start media broadcast system.
If, at any time, you cannot determine what the district's operations plans are, call the Transportation Schedule Hotline at (425) 844-4542.
Please do not call the schools, the school district office, or radio or television stations for school or bus operations information.
If you are signed up to receive Constant Contact e-mail distributions at your school(s), you may receive further notification updates from your principal. Additionally, you can subscribe to Constant Contact email distributions from the Riverview School District by visiting our website and selecting, "Join our email list" in the upper right-hand corner.
The messages will be brief in nature when broadcast to the public. Examples include:
- "SCHOOLS CLOSED" - all schools in the district are closed for the day.
- "ONE HOUR LATE START - ALL DISTRICT" - all schools in the district will start one hour late, and will dismiss at their regularly scheduled time, unless otherwise announced. Breakfast will be available on these days.
- ECEAP, and Early Childhood programs will start one hour late, except on Early Release Fridays when there will be no classes for these specific programs and classes.
"TWO HOURS LATE" - all schools in the district will start two hours late.
- ECEAP, and Early Childhood programs will be cancelled. There will be no breakfast served to students on these days.
- "NO OUT OF DISTRICT TRANSPORTATION"- students will not be transported outside of Riverview School District boundaries to other school districts or facilities for classes.
"EXTENDED DAY" - will be open regular hours unless schools are closed.
SCHOOL BUS OPERATIONS
Bus operations may have to be altered or cancelled. Messages will be provided as follows:
- "SCHOOLS CLOSED" - all schools will be closed for one day only.
- All meetings, field trips and after school activities will also be cancelled. No out-of-district transportation will be provided.
- "SCHOOLS ONE (OR TWO) HOURS LATE, EMERGENCY BUS ROUTES" - schools will be either one or two hours late.
- Students will be dismissed at regular time unless announced otherwise.
- Parents should reference media outlets identified above for further announcements.
- Buses will operate on emergency bus routes, if announced.
- "NO OUT OF DISTRICT TRANSPORTATION" - schools are operating, but no school district transportation vehicles (buses, vans, cars) will operate outside of school boundaries. This will include special education, field trips, after school activities, sports events, concerts, performances, etc.
- "LIMITED BUS TRANSPORTATION" - buses will not travel certain routes in our communities because of safety.
If you have any questions during regular business hours, please contact the Riverview School District's Transportation Department Office at (425) 844-4540.